Can I be removed from a home by my son-in-law if I visit my daughter once a month?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be removed from a home by my son-in-law if I visit my daughter once a month?

I stay for about 7-10 days. She is the co-owner of the house and I am considered her guest. Her

husband doesn’t want me there. The police that he called to have me removed said that I can stay as a guest of my daughter. Is there another way he can have me removed from the home?

Asked on October 24, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

So long as your daughter is on the deed (title) to the house, then she is a legal owner. Accordingly, she has the right to invite guests onto the property as she pleases. Her husband cannot stop her. The only other way he can keep you from visiting is if he obtains a protective order of some kind (i.e. a restraining order, etc.) which would be issued in the event you somehow place him in fear for his safety.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption