Can I be prosecuted for getting rid of my ex-boyfriend’s belongings?

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be prosecuted for getting rid of my ex-boyfriend’s belongings?

If my ex-boyfriend’s stuff is still in my apartment after 4 years. Can I legally get rid of it?

Asked on June 25, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Send him a letter, sent some way or ways you can prove delivery (e.g. certified mail; fed ex with tracking; email or fax--it's best to use more than one way) which states that he has left his belongings in your home for 4 years; that he has no right to leave his belongings there; which briefly reiterates or summarizes your previous attempts to have him take this things; and which states that unless he picks the items up within 30 days, you will consider them abandoned and dispose of them as you see fit. Then send him a reminder, the same way (so you can prove delivery) at the 15-day mark. If he doesn't get his belongings, at the end of the time period, dispose of them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption