Can I be prosecuted for forging someone’s signature on a work-related document?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be prosecuted for forging someone’s signature on a work-related document?

I worked for a non-profit agency for the department of children and families. I forged a foster parent’s signature on a work document stating that I completed a home visit when I actually did not. I was told that the case is being handled by FL Dept. of Law Enforcement. Can Ibe prosecuted and arrested? Should I speak with a criminal defense attorney?

Asked on September 16, 2010 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Yes, I would contact an attorney on the matter.  Besides the obvious problem of forging a work related document , the standard of care that you will be held to on this type of document and because of what you do, well, I could see it being a very serious problem for you.  A person dealing with children in Foster Care is a responsibility that has to be given has to be held to a high standard of care given what could result if the job is not handled properly.  There are lives at stake.  It is not like forging a check.  Whatever your reason I am sure that it really will not carry much weight against "what could have been."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption