Can I be kicked out of an apartment that I currently live in if I do not meet the credit requirements?

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be kicked out of an apartment that I currently live in if I do not meet the credit requirements?

I currently live in an apartment with a roommate. The roommate is moving out and is not renewing the lease. The leasing office is telling me that my credit does not meet the qualifications for the apartment. My income is substantially over the income requirements on my own. There are some items on my credit report that I was caught off-guard with and there is an error where one item was listed twice on accident by the collections agency. These things have been fixed but are not showing on my credit report as being fixed yet. Can I be kicked out of my apartment because of this?

Asked on March 30, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, if the lease presently in effect will be terminating and your landlord does not want to renew it due to your credit score, then your landlord has every right to do so under the law. If you want to remain in the rental that you are writing about, I suggest that you have a face to face meeting with the landlord to see what can be done for you to remain as a tenant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption