Can i be indicted for taking money out of my business account?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i be indicted for taking money out of my business account?

I took money out of my joint business account two separate occasions. Myself and another are the makers of the account. Now the bank is saying I was removed from the account days before my last withdrawls? The bank gave me the money s I don’t see whats wrong here. However, there is a criminal investigation going on and I do not have the money to pay back?

Asked on January 20, 2018 under Business Law, North Dakota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If it was an LLC account, as your additional information under "What I have tried" indicates, then it was NOT your account--it was the LLCs. (An LLC is a separate legal entity from you.) Taken money out from an LLC account for personal, not business reasons, is theft from the LLC.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption