How doI prove that a case of mistaken identity if somebody is trying to collect money from?

UPDATED: Jan 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI prove that a case of mistaken identity if somebody is trying to collect money from?

There is a women that is constantly called me telling me she wants her money back on a dog that she says she bought from me. I have never in my life sold a dog; I am only 17 years-old. Today she called and said that she was sending a certified letter through mail, and if I didn’t respond in 10 days she was getting a lawyer. I have told her that I am not the person that she is looking for. Is there anything that I can do to just stop this madness?

Asked on January 31, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Mississippi


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The next time the woman contacts you, tell her that you will sue her for invasion of privacy if she ever contacts you again.  Invasion of privacy is a serious and unreasonable interference with your right to be left alone. 

You can also tell her that your lawsuit for invasion of privacy will also include a separate claim for abuse of process if she files any fraudulent legal claim against you.  Abuse of process means abuse of the legal system if she files a frivolous lawsuit.  Tell her that when you prevail in your lawsuit, she will be liable for substantial monetary damages in addition to your attorney's fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption