Can I be held financially responsibleif my 17 year old stole another student’s cell phone worth over $300?

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be held financially responsibleif my 17 year old stole another student’s cell phone worth over $300?

It was taken from a student at school. I have been having problems with him stealing for years. I have carried him to court for stealing from me. It didn’t do any good. I have taken thing from him, keep him home only letting him go with us, called the cops and he told the cops that if he see it and want it he takes it. Why should I be held responsible when he doesn’t listen to anything I say. He tells me to shut up. He should be held responsible to teach him a lesson.

Asked on October 10, 2011 under Criminal Law, Florida


Brian Toung

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, under Florida law parents are responsible for damage to property of others up to $5,000 caused by their minor children.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption