Can I be held criminally liable and serve jail time regarding my falsifying me resume?

UPDATED: Jan 29, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 29, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be held criminally liable and serve jail time regarding my falsifying me resume?

I got a job working as a football coach for a high school but I lied on my resume and application by stating that I had high school coaching experience when I did not. The school has now found out and is threatening me with legal action. I did not lie about degrees or schooling just experience. Besides losing my job what other legal consequences can I face? Could I face jail time for this?

Asked on January 29, 2019 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you could potentially face jail time, as well as being sued by the school to recover any amounts (e.g. salary) they paid you. You obtained the school's money through fraud--by lying about your qualifications. Obtain money through fraud is essentially a form of theft, which is why you could face both criminal and civil liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption