Can I be held accountable for his accident?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be held accountable for his accident?

My soon to be ex husband was in an auto
accident. I have met own insurance, he doesnt
have insurance. We are not legally separated,
but life apart. Can I be held accountable for
his accident? Or be sued, even if I wasn’t

Asked on August 2, 2018 under Accident Law, Minnesota


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There are really two answers to your question:
1.  If your name is on the title of the vehicle, then the injured party can try to bring you into the lawsuit.  That does not mean the suit will be successful....but it will be annoying having to defend the suit.
2.  If you are brought into the suit, it would  be difficult for them to hold you accountable for an act that you were not involved in...unless you had some knowledge that your husband's driving would be dangerous and you allowed him to use your vehicle. 
So, you can potentially be sued, but absent some relevant circumstances, you are not likely to be held accountable for his actions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption