Can I be forced to pay for a bed if I cancelled the contract an hour after signing and the bed was never in my possession?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be forced to pay for a bed if I cancelled the contract an hour after signing and the bed was never in my possession?

i cancelled an order for a bed one hour after signing a contract for purchase. I used my credit card for the transaction. I was told by the store that I couldn’t cancel the transaction. I do not have the bed in my possession, I notified my credit card company that I was cancelling the transaction. The credit card company paid for the bed and advised me to go pick it up. Can I be forced to pay for a bed that was never in my possession when I cancelled the transaction an hour after signing the contract?

Asked on August 5, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There is no "cool off" period or time to change your mind and rescind a consumer sale like this. As soon as you signed the contract, you were obligated to pay for the bed. Your credit card's company's advice appears to be correct--having signed the contract, you are obligated to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption