Can I be forced to change my shift?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be forced to change my shift?

I work at a 24-hour facility. I started out working 2nd shift 3:00 pm-11:30 pm and was offered a more desirable schedule of 1st shift 7:00 am-3:30 pm about 2 months ago. New Link Destination
day an employee from 3rd shift was fired. I was told by HR that I am now scheduled to work 3rd shift 11:00 pm – 7:30 am effective immediately. I was told if I am not able to work this shift it will be considered a resignation. Is this a breach of my employment contact?

Asked on March 11, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you have an employment contract (or union agreement), then you need to review it and see what, if anything, it states regarding the scheduling of your shifts and the hours that you can be required to work. If there is no such language, then I'm afraid that you have no rights here. The fact is that most employers can set the conditions of the wrokplace much as they fit (absent some form of actionable discrimination). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption