Can I be forced back home at 19?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be forced back home at 19?

I’m 19, a legal adult. I’m currently living in my boyfriend’s house and I’m being well taken care off under a safe roof. My mom tried to put a false restraining order on my whole family against him because she didn’t want me to leave home. I went up to court against her to uplift it, however her lawyer said to the judge we have proof and documentation that she has developmental delay but that didnt work as that wasnt what the case was about. I’m worried that my mom will report to the police saying that I have developmental delay and being me back home. I have no mental disorders such as anxiety or bipolar or depression.

Asked on November 9, 2018 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Only if a court truly does--based on medical evidence--find that you are sufficiently cognitively impaired that you cannot care for or make decisions for yourself, declare you incompetent, and appoint a legal guardain (e.g. parents) for you, could the legal guardian then force you to return. A competent adult (anyone not declared incompetent) decides where she will live.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption