Can I be force to provide the proof of termite invoice as seller?

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be force to provide the proof of termite invoice as seller?

I’m selling my home , I did termite
treatment in the house , got a termite
certificate and trashed my receipt as I
didn’t think I would need it. Now the
buyer underwriter is asking for
invoices, even if I give the certificate of
recent treatment . If I don’t give the
invoice and the loan is decline, will I be
sued by anyone?

Asked on December 7, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You say the buyer *underwriter* is asking the invoice or receipt, if you don't provide it, you can't be sued, but as you note, the loan may be declined. That will typically not afford the buyer a basis to sue you, but would generally allow them out of the contract without fault or penalty--i.e. they could walk away and get their earnest money back, since their inability to get the loan is traceable to your (the seller's) actions or failure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption