Can I be fired for being sick?

UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be fired for being sick?

I was given a doctor’s note to excuse me from work, and my boss fired me. I had received 1 verbal warning in the 3 months that I worked there, and my employer stated that my excuse did not matter. My employer also sent an email stating that if you are sick or experiencing any symptoms of the flu, to stay home.

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


BP, Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You can be terminated for any reason if your employment was "at will" - meaning that you do not have a contract.  It does seem odd that this would happen over one sickness - especially if you received notice to stay home when a sickness occurs.  You can choose to take the matter further if you feel as though you've been discriminated against.  If so, speak with an employment law attorney to discuss all of the details of what happened.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption