Can I be fired for an accusation at my former place of employment by same boss?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be fired for an accusation at my former place of employment by same boss?

I resigned from a job after the supervisor accused me of something pretty bad. I am working at a new place private prison and just found out that the supervisor that accused me at the former place state prison is going to be my new supervisor at the new place. Can she fire me based on what she accused me of at the old place?

Asked on February 1, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an employment agreement or union contract that covers the terms of your dismissal? If not, then you are an "at will" worker. This means that you can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all. That having been said, if what your supervisor is sayng is not true you may be able to sue them for defamation. At this point, you can consult with a local attorney for further advise.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption