Can I be fired due to a medical condition?

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be fired due to a medical condition?

I recently started having slight memory lapses and brief periods of zoning out. I was threatened with termination if I was not cleared by a doctor. They took me off the schedule for a couple weeks because of it. Is it legal for them to take me off the schedule like that or to fire me for a medical condition? I was under the impression this was illegal.

Asked on April 9, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The first thing I need to know is what type of medical condition do you have? Is the medical condition that you have documented by your treating physician? If so, under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), your employer cannot terminate you simply because you have a medical condition that may impair your ability to do the work that you were doing. Rather reasonable accomodations need to be provided you for your medical condition per a detailed report as to the condition from your treating physician by your employer.

Dpending upon your medical condition per your treating doctor's report, your employer may very well have been entitled to take you off your work schedule for a couple of weeks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption