Can I be fired based on rumors with no evidence that any thing occurred?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be fired based on rumors with no evidence that any thing occurred?

I was put on suspension until further notice due to a rumor someone had started at my work place. It is untrue. There is no proof that anything had happened, and it was said to occurred three months ago and it is just coming up now.

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area.  At will employees like yourself can be fired for good bad or no reason at all.  Whether rumors or not make you look bad, you are subject to being fired.  Employers will try to do some due dilligence and make sure they investigagte so they are not sued for publicizing a false reason for terminating an employee.  However, please note that you do not have to have a reason to fire an at will employee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption