Can I be evicted for moving in my nephew so he can finish high school?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be evicted for moving in my nephew so he can finish high school?

My nephew was a victim of assault by a teacher at his school Sophomore year. He moved to another district and lived with grand-parents to complete his Junior year. They had to move to a nursing home and so now my nephew is faced with the options of dropping out or facing his assailant on a daily basis. I has hoping to offer a third choice, but my lease stipulates that I will be the sole occupant. He is currently living with his mother, 4 siblings, grandmother, grandfather, uncle and a cousin all in a very small three bedroom house.

Asked on August 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Lease provisions that restrict the number of people who reside in a rental unit are legal and enforceable. If you move your nephew in, in violation of this provision, you could be evicted for violating the terms of your lease. You can, of course, ask your landlord to allow you to let him live with you, possibly in exchange for higher rent; if you are not in subsidized or public housing, he may agree to this. (There are rules goverining who can live in public housing units, which your nephew may not qualify for.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption