CanI be evicted for going into the manager’s office and filing a complaint against another tenant for physically attacking my daughter?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI be evicted for going into the manager’s office and filing a complaint against another tenant for physically attacking my daughter?

After another tenant in our building physically attacked my daughter, I called the police and went into the office to complain. Naturally I was upset and I when I got into the office the other party was there accusing me of attacking them. This made me more upset so my voice was loud and I did use profanity. Can I be evicted for going I to complain while I was upset?

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is always the possibility that the landlord or property manager may seek to evict you for your conduct with respect to the incident that you are writing about soon after your daughter was attacked by a tenant in the apartment complex that you reside in.

However the likelihood of that happening given the fact that the incident was reported to law enforcement is not likely in my opinion based upon my experience in representing landlords in similar situations.  You naturally were upset over what happened to your daughter. The landlord is probably more concerned about your demands as to safety issues in the complex with respect to you and your daughter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption