Can I be evicted aftermaintaining and improving ahouse and property for 12 years?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be evicted aftermaintaining and improving ahouse and property for 12 years?

The house I live in was willed to my mother. I have lived there for 12 years making all repairs; additionally, I remodelled the house. She now wants to evict me over personal family issues. I stopped paying her to live there months ago because my money was supposed to go toward property taxes and the taxes have not been paid in some time. Is it legal for her to evict me and my family?

Asked on July 13, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If your mother owns the home and you do not have either (1) a life estate to reside there; or (2) some lease that lets you stay there (at least for the term of the lease); then yes, she may evict you. It is possible that IF you made the repairs and remodeled in exchange for being able to live there, that you could show that there is an agreement under which you could remain; though you'd also have to show that you have a continuing right to reside there under the agreement (rather than having made the repairs, etc. in exchange for having lived there the past 12 years). You'd also have to prove the agreement, which could be very difficult if your mother disagrees, and also may be barred since many agreements need to be in writing to be enforced, and this may be one of them. You should speak with an attorney with real estate or landlord-tenant experience to evaluate you case; be aware that as a general matter, improving property does not give one a continuing right to reside in it.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption