Can I be emancipated?

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be emancipated?

I live in virginia and I’m 14. I’m hoping to try to get emancipated when I turn 16. I will have a job and finance and all the requirements except my parents don’t want me to. My reasons for getting emancipated is that I’m so upset living in my house. All we do is fight and my parents constantly emotionally abuse me calling me ‘fat/worthless/lazy/selfish/stupid/ect’ and even some physical abuse. My parents deny all of it and i have no evidence. I don’t want to press charges or anything, I just want to get out of my house. My family problems have lead to depression and even cutting for me. I am working with a psychologist for my depression and self harm and even he said I might want to look into it.

Asked on January 20, 2013 under Family Law, Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need a guardian ad litem. You need an attorney to help you file for emancipation and show you can actually live on your own (rent, food, transportation, health care) and still go to school. You need a plan. If your parents are abusive, you need help to get this straightened out so you can be safe.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption