Can I be disqualified by company for personal reasons?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be disqualified by company for personal reasons?

I was offered a job by an independent contractor for a trucking company that I worked for in the past. I would have been working for my previous boss and the contractor that offered me the job. When he tried to turn my information in to be qualified by the company, the manager told him that he will not qualify me. The contractor told me I should file a lawsuit because he feels that he won’t qualify me because he has a personal problem against me. I was wondering if I have any grounds for a lawsuit?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you do not have a cause of action: the law allows someone to turn down another person for employment for personal reasons, and in fact, it's not uncommon--just like it's not uncommon to get a job because of personal reasons (e.g. friends of the boss or his/her family). A previous boss may refuse to allow a prior employee to work for him/her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption