Can I be denied money I was entitled to after quitting?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be denied money I was entitled to after quitting?

I took vacation on 03/04th – 03/12 and my manager forgot to enter it. I should’ve been paid on 03/24 for it. I ended up quitting 03/25 with no notice due to other reasons. They are now saying they do not need to pay me that vacation money. On 03/03 I also traveled to another store to help them out and they never paid me my mileage for that. I’m just curious if they could do that legally or not.

Asked on March 27, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, if you validly took vacation pre-quitting, then you must be paid for it: it was a benefit or compensation which you earned and used. You could sue them for the pay equivalent of the vacation if they won't provide it.
If they had reimbursed mileage in the past, they had to reimburse any mileage that you submitted but they failed to pay--i.e. they have to follow whatever their policy had been. You could sue for this, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption