Can I be charged with fraud for withdrawing money from my joint bank account?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be charged with fraud for withdrawing money from my joint bank account?

My soon-to-be-ex wife, has skipped out on her share of the phone bill 4 times, totaling around $285.60. I withdrew this money from the joint account that we have together and now her roommate is saying it’s her money; she’s pressing charges. What should be my next course of action?

Asked on August 4, 2012 under Criminal Law, Washington


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Typically you can not be charged for withdrawing monies from a joint bank account so long as you have the legal authorization from the bank to withdraw these funds, meaning your name is on the joint account and you are an authorized user of the account. You will want to discuss this scenario with a criminal defense attorney in your are to discuss possible fraud charges, but I do not foresee any criminal charges being filed for a joint account.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption