Can I be charged for “vandalizing” an elevator after being injured during a malfunction and forcing an exit?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be charged for “vandalizing” an elevator after being injured during a malfunction and forcing an exit?

Waiting an hour for rescue.

Asked on January 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

So you were stuck in an elevator and after waiting an hour or so you forced open the doors causing damage to the elevator doors?  I am sure that in this day and age someone could definitely try and charge you or sue you for the damage but I really think that any Judge that holds you liable for it would be ridiculous and I would appeal every ruling I could if it were so.  Listen, I am surprised that you waited that long to act.  I would have tried it after much less time than that being claustrophobic and afraid of elevators to begin with.  If it does come to fruition I would seek help from an attorney (and the media) in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption