Can I be banned from a sports bar/restaurant?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be banned from a sports bar/restaurant?

A server at a restaurant lied and said I was rude to her, went and told her GM, who in turn called her regional manager/ The GM proceeded to tell my roommate, who is a GM at one of their other locations, that I am no longer allowed in there anymore.

Asked on September 20, 2011 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Businesses, including restaurants and bars, have the right to not serve or do business with people. If it's a place of public accomodation--like a bar--it cannot refuse people on the basis of protected categories, such as their race or disability; however, even places of public accomodation have the right to ban people who are disruptive or rude to either staff or other guests.

The fact that the server may have lied does not change the right of the bar to ban you--it is acting on the information before it. Furthermore, since "rude" is a matter of opinion, it is almost impossible to prove (or disprove) whether you were rude or not--what one person considers rude, another person may not. Thus, for example, it is possible that she truthfully said you were rude to her, because she feels that your behavior was rude even if you feel that it was not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption