Can I be arrested for not returning a car to a buy here/pay here auto dealer?

UPDATED: Apr 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be arrested for not returning a car to a buy here/pay here auto dealer?

It has been over 2 years and I don’t have the car anymore. I got a car from a buy here/pay here dealer, gave a trade in for $1000 and $300 in cash. I made payments for awhile, then lost my job and moved out of state. The dealer put a hold on my tags so I couldn’t renew them. When I moved back I couldn’t drive the car so I had to leave it. In other words. I don’t have the car anymore. It’s been over 2 years and I just heard something about a warrant. What can he do and what am I looking at as far as charges go?

Asked on April 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is possible that the seller of the car that you bought it from could have filed a criminal report against you with respect to the item that you did not completely pay for and as a result, the district attorney's office filed a criminal complaint against you and resulting in an arrest warrant. If you suspect that there is a warrant out for your arrest, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to look into this "rumor" to see if it is true and begin taking care of the matter.

Possible charges could be felony theft.

Most likely the seller of the car filed a civil action against you for money due on the car you bought.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption