Can I be arrested based of an accusation with no proof?

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be arrested based of an accusation with no proof?

I was wondering if I could get arrested if there is no proof or evidence of 2 other people and I stealing $561 of items from a house. When I agree to take a lie detector test because I didn’t do it. We are being accused, harassed, and threatened by a detective who is saying he will get a warrant to arrest us if we do not pay the amount.

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Criminal Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In order to be arrested for the alleged theft of the $561.00 that you have written about there has to be probable cause for the alleged crime against you. If you are being threatened by a detective of arrest but have not been arrested yet, it seems that there is no evidence at this time to arrest you for the claimed crime.

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about the situation so that you can possibly end the direct contact of the detective with you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption