Can I back out on an aggrement tp buy a piece of land after I have sign the contract.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I back out on an aggrement tp buy a piece of land after I have sign the contract.

I have decided it will be to expensive to build on the property. Will I lose my earnest money or have any legal requirment if I back out?

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I can't give you a definite answer on this.  You would need to have an attorney read the signed contract and discuss all the facts of the case, to get reliable advice.  One place to find a lawyer who can help you figure this out is our website,

Ordinarily, deciding that building the house would be too expensive isn't a reason that the law allows, for breaking a contract, and you might well lose your earnest money.  At the very least, the money might be held in escrow until someone else buys the land, and if it's for a lower price, you'll lose the difference.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption