Can I back out of a construction contract?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I back out of a construction contract?

I have just been cheated by a constructor today. He conned me, with my added ignorance, to signing a contract when I only said for an estimate. He even predates the estimate to make it seem like I signed it 5 days ago. Now I am not the owner of the house my mother is. Is there anyway I can legally back out of this contract?

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, it seems that you need to sit down with an attorney that practices construction law to review the documents that you signed with the contractor for the work of improvement on your mother's home. If there was fraud in the inducement of the contract that you entered into by the contractor, the fraud can be a basis for cancelling it.

Another option is for your to contact your state's contractor's licensing board to see if a complaint against the contractor you are writing about is warranted. This entity regulates licensed contractors in your state and fields consumer complaints against them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption