Can I ask that my ex get his stuff off of my property?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I ask that my ex get his stuff off of my property?

I am divorced,and there is a no contact order against my ex for domestic assault. In the divorce agreement, it says we had already split our stuff satisfactorily and what was on the property was mine. However, he has stuff here that I want gone. Can I give him 30 days to get rid of it or do I need to wait for the PO to be dropped in about 5 months? And if he doesn’t get it, can I sell it?

Asked on November 8, 2018 under Family Law, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can't make him violate the no contact order, which means that if he is going to pick it up, you have to give until some reasonable time after that order is expired.
If it's not too bulky, you can ship it to him: have a friend or two help you pack it and keep a list of what is going, which they can sign, too; video the packing; and have it sent some way you can track and prove delivery.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption