Can I ask for reimbursement regarding my overpaid health premium?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I ask for reimbursement regarding my overpaid health premium?

I’m employee W2 and have worked for my company for almost 3 years. I just find out that I’ve been deducted for family coverage health insurance and dental/vision the whole time. However, I’m single with no kids. I checked with the company and they have the right information. I don’t know who made the mistake – my the employer or the insurance company. I never paid attention to the paystub because I have direct deposit. Is it possible to receive a reimbursement from all of this time?

Asked on January 22, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they cannot charge you for something you did not receive--e.g. for family coverage when you did not have a family--so long as you can show that the error or fault was not yours (that is, if you gave them the wrong information, they are not responsible for that). You write that you have verified that you gave them the correct information; in that case, they owe you the difference between single and family coverage back. If they won't voluntarily reimburse you, you could sue them for the money (though, of course, suing your employer is a drastic step). You would sue based on breach of contract: for paying for something you did not receive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption