Can I appoint a friend to collect a class action lawsuit if I pass before the suit ends?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I appoint a friend to collect a class action lawsuit if I pass before the suit ends?

Hello, I am in the middle of a class action lawsuit and I have had a failing
heart. I have no real property or monies. Just a few personal items that A
transfer on death will take care of. I’m in Las Vegas, Nv.
I want to leave the lawsuit monies, if any to a very good friend of mine. I
am unmarried with no dependents. My brother is in a nursing home in Ohio, my
sister is here, however she gets nothing. Do I need to create a will for a small
amount of award monies? Also nobody is responsible for me and I have no
beneficiary. Thank you

Asked on April 28, 2019 under Estate Planning, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you would need a will to leave your right to collect any monies from the lawsuit to your friend. Only a will controls what happens to anything you own or anything you are entitled to receive after your death; therefore, only a will can make your friend the beneficiary of any amounts from the lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption