Can I apply for naturalization ifmy husband is a US citizen and lives outside the US?

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I apply for naturalization ifmy husband is a US citizen and lives outside the US?

My husband is a US citizen and we have been married for 4 years. He works for a 501 C3 non-profit organization that is primarily funded by the US government. /they sent him to Hong Kong to work several months ago. As I am unable to work there I moved home a year ago to the UK for a job. I called USCIS before I left and they told me I could keep my green card if I visited the US every year, however, on my current trip to the US the man at immigration said this was incorrect and I need to apply for a re-entry permit. Can I apply for naturalization, do I also need a re-entry permit?

Asked on October 10, 2011 under Immigration Law, District of Columbia


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are a green card holder, you cannot be outside the US for longer than 6 months at any given time and if you plan to be outside for a longer period of time, you do need to apply for a reentry permit. That will allow you to be outside the US for up to 2 years without having to return and allow you to still maintain your permanent resident status.  As far as your ability to naturalize, in order to do so, you have to have been a permanent resident for 3 years (if married to a US citizen on the basis of which you got your green card) AND you have to have been physically present in the US for at least one half of that time.  Once you have satisfied both of those conditions, you may be eligible to apply for naturalization.  In order to apply for naturalization, you have to be physically present in the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption