Can I apply for I-485 on F1 visa?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I apply for I-485 on F1 visa?

My grandfather applied for immigration petition for my mother third preference 12 years ago. Currently, my 2 sisters and I are in the U.S. on an F1 visa. My mother has a B1 visa with which she keeps on visiting us. For this, I wanted to know if we can file for I-485 adjustment of status while we are waiting for our visa? We are still waiting for our call.

Asked on February 6, 2017 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot file I-485 until the priority date on the petition your grandfather had filed is current.  Depending on what country of origin your mother is, the priority date may be coming current soon (worldwide).  You should be checking the monthly visa bulletin published by the US Department of State to see how the priority date of your petition is moving.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption