Can I apply for dual citizenship?

UPDATED: May 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I apply for dual citizenship?

I’m a Canadian citizen living and working in the US. I married a US citizen and have my green card. In 2 years I can renew it or apply for citizenship. I still feel loyalty to Canada, however ,I love the United States too. What would be the advantages of dual citizenship and what would be the disadvantages?

Asked on May 27, 2012 under Immigration Law, New York


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you apply for dual citizenship has to do with the other country (not USA) on whether you can do it.  I'm fairly certain that you can have dual citizenship with US and Canada.  As far as advantages, you have to see what those would be for you, primarily.  As far as US is concerned, you cannot vote or serve on a jury if you are not a US citizen.  You may not be able to gain access to certain jobs in the US that may require US citizenship as a prerequisite.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption