Can I apply for AOS within 3month of entering the US with F1 Visa

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I apply for AOS within 3month of entering the US with F1 Visa

Good Morning,

I entered the United States on F1 visa in May 2016 3month ago, met my wife here in the states and we got married 2weeks ago. My question is

1. Can I start filling for my Adjustment of Status immediately I receive my marriage certificate?

2. Do i need to include the following documents – joint account, joint leasing, Utility bills and so on with my AOS application and do I need to wait for it to run for some months?

3. Would it be an issue that I got married within 3month of entering the united states with an F1 visa?

I have completed 2 summer semesters already, and i really cant afford to continue school cos of the high tuition rate. I intend to continue once I am eligible to pay in-tuition rate. So I really dont want to be out of status before applying for AOS.

Asked on August 21, 2016 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Are you saying you met your wife for the first time and you got married all within 3 months?  It is a bit unual.  I would say that you want to file the AOS no earlier than 90 days after your last date of entry to the US and keep in mind that you will be  highly scrutinized at the time of the interview.  I would strongly suggest you consult with an immigration attorney before you start the process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption