Can i appeal a plea agreement if the final agreement was factually inaccurate.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i appeal a plea agreement if the final agreement was factually inaccurate.

My friend was charged with aggravated sodomy with a minor under 14. he was also charged with sexual exploitation of a min or over 14 under 18. After his lawyer advised him he signed the plea offer. After looking over his conviction it occured to him that the girl in question was over the age of 14. He now wants to know if there is anything he can do to withdraw his plea to only that one charge.

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

He needs to talk to his public defender regarding that issue.  It may be too late unless the public defender can indicate it was legally impossible for that charge since the girl was over a certain age.  Does that particular law have an intent element or is it simply strict liability? I.e., age really makes no difference.

He needs to talk to his lawyer.  By the way, I hope your friend is a teenage, because otherwise, if you in any way were involved with the underlying crimes, you could be charged too as an accessory.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption