Can I appeal a finding by an arbitrator after a judgment has been put in place?

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I appeal a finding by an arbitrator after a judgment has been put in place?

I proved in arbitration that the other 2 parties sold securities without a license. The way the arbitrator ruled I had to turn over all the securities before I could receive a judgement. I tried to explain I did not own all the securities since at least one was sold. The arbitrator would not listen and a judgement was made in a much smaller amount against one of the parties. lost hundreds of thousands (everything) and the guilty party is off the hook. Can I appeal?

Asked on April 4, 2012 under Business Law, Oregon


Glenn M. Lyon, Esq. / MacGregor Lyon, LLC.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Generally, there is no right to appeal an arbitration award unless you can show some kind of conflict of interest or the language of the arbitration provision allows for it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption