Can a 16 year old girl press charges on my 19 year old sister if she is physically abusing me?

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a 16 year old girl press charges on my 19 year old sister if she is physically abusing me?

It started out as terrible rumors my freshman year in high school; her friends harassing me in the hallways. When she would get mad she would beat me from time to time, hair pulling, grabbing, throwing, smacking, punching on the arms. Now it’s to the point where she punches me in the head, the face, took my head and kneed my head into it, and pulled my hair causing me to fall to the floor dizzy and feeling a bit unconscious for a little; I also started to throw up a little. She constantly threatens that she will hurt me harder “next time” and also that she will kill me one of these days.

Asked on October 15, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are being physically abused by your nineteen (19) year old sister where you are a minor, you need to consult with your school counselor about the situation as well as your physician immediately in order to obtain assistance to have this wrongful conduct stop assuming your parents have not intervened.

You might consider consulting with an attorney about getting protective order as well against your sister. You have the right to be left alone and from what you have described out your sister who is an adult, what she is doing to you is wrong.

You might also consider consulting with law enforcement about your sister's abuse with respect to you as well.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption