Can husband move girlfriend into family home?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can husband move girlfriend into family home?

He had moved his girlfriend from Co to Fl and is going to move her into our home.
I and our daughter still live in the home and we are in the process of filing.
Can he do this? Can I keep her out?

Asked on April 6, 2016 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't keep her out unless you get a court order forcing her to stay away, which you may be able to do in the context of a divorce, especially since there is a (presumably) minor child involved and this may not be good for her. Absent a court order, which a court can grant if in the interest of a child or to prevent conflict or preserve the status quo pending divorce, any owner of a home may let another person, even a girlfriend, live there, even against the wishes of other owners. If you want to stop her, retain an attorney and have the attorney seek a court order for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption