Can healthcare creditors come after someone’s car after they die if it is transfered to a son or daughter?

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can healthcare creditors come after someone’s car after they die if it is transfered to a son or daughter?

Father wants to give his car to his son while in hospice as son’s car isn’t working. Need to know if doctors and hospitals who are owed more than he has can come and take the car? Transfer before death best?

Asked on April 6, 2012 under Estate Planning, Georgia


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the car is free and clear (without a car note), it is probably better to transfer the car before death to remove it from your estate. Any assets left in your estate will be used for debt if you don't designate the order of the assets to be sold to satisfy your liabilities.  Moreover, even if you establish the order of sale to satsify your liabilities, if there are insufficient liabilities, the car canl still be sold to satisfy the debt.  


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption