Can an ex-wife press child endangerment charges if a father admits to having 2 beers over 6 hoursbut consumed a large meal and then drove with child?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an ex-wife press child endangerment charges if a father admits to having 2 beers over 6 hoursbut consumed a large meal and then drove with child?

His ex-wife has been a recovering alcoholic for 20 years. She has denied my husband several times in the past due to her fear that we are drinking around the child. We have gone to court each time and the court has done nothing. Last summer we went to a gathering at and my husband had 2 beers over the course of 6 hours and also a large meal. He was not impaired in any way. Later he drove us all home. His ex-wife found out and has denied him parenting time for about 4 months. She has not been to our house. The ex is demanding 1 year of sobriety out of him before his daughter can come to visit.

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Family Law, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This is an issue wherein your husband is being denied visitation, which is illegal if he custody and visitation order says otherwise and an order of protection against him has not been issued. Your husband needs to file a contempt motion against her and ensure that he has proof of being responsible. 2 beers with a meal over the course of 6 hours is not unreasonable but he may wish to modify his behavior so it doesn't create animosity between the two of them and hurt the children. Bottom line, he needs to protect his right to see his children. If she is overly emotional because of her alcoholism, he can certainly use that against her but only if he wishes to make this a nasty exchange.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption