Can my ex force me to sell my home?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex force me to sell my home?

I had my ex-wife sign a quit claim deed on our property some years back, initially to protect my home. Her name is still on the mortgage. The mortgage is current and has been since she left. Now3 years later she is threatening to force me to refinance but I can’t at this time do to on-going construction. My current wife, our children, and I are living in the home.

Asked on September 13, 2011 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As I understand here, legally it is no longer hers, correct? And that was pursuant to your divorce decree?  In other words: you got the house? Then as long as the mortgage is covered and current she has no legal standing  - she "owns" nothing - to force you to sell the house.  It is known as an action for partition, where you tell the court that you want the asset to be split down the middle.  Courts can not split a house down the middle so they order the house sold and the assets split.  I would double check with your attorney who drafted the divorce settlement to be sure.  Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption