Can employers raise/lower wages without informed consent?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can employers raise/lower wages without informed consent?

Performance reviews and wage
evaluations/raises question.

My performance review was postponed.
That’s my opportunity to negotiate my
salary with my director. Our raises
were given and applied, but we have yet
to see what our raises were or sign
anything saying we agreed to them.

Is this legal? Or just improper?

Asked on August 5, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, West Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Employers do NOT need employee consent or agreement to changes in pay or, indeed, to any changes in their employment, unless the employee has a written employment contract requiring consent. Otherwise, without a contract, you are an employee at will and that means, among other things, that your employer may change your salary or wages at any time, for any reason (or change it: i.e. not give you a raise), in any amount, without your prior knowledge, input, or consent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption