Can employer withhold employee wages for mistake made in kirchen

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can employer withhold employee wages for mistake made in kirchen

My son who has cooked at this
restaurant for 4yrs never missing a day
of work forgot to turn up prime rib
before leaving at 2pm upon returning at
5pm his boss confronted him stating he
had to throw it all away and because of
this they lost 1000. The next day they
demanded he pay 300 which they
withheld from check

Asked on September 3, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Such a deduction is illegal. There can be no money taken from an employee's paycheck sue to cover this type of a loss. While your son may owe for this mistake, it is a separate matter. Reducing his paycheck under the circumstances is a violation of the law. At this point, he can either sue his employer in small claims court and/or file a wage complaint with your state's department of labor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption