Can employer only pay me for 32 hours when I worked 80 hours

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can employer only pay me for 32 hours when I worked 80 hours

The executive director where I work got mad
because we had a bad audit.He made payroll
change my timesheet because he didnt feel
like we earned the hours but we did work them.
Im saying we because there are three of us
that got done this way

Asked on April 29, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, this is illegal. Hourly employees must be paid for ALL hours worked, and employers must keep accurate and truthful time records--the law (e.g. the Fair Labor Standards Act, or FLSA) is very clear about that. You did the right thing in filing with the labor board/department; note that if dfor somereason they do not help though (though they should: enforcing the labor and wage law is what they do), you could sue your employer, such as in small claims court, for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption