Can an employer cut a salaried employee pay without notice?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer cut a salaried employee pay without notice?

I worked for current employer for 11 years with only 1 raise; I was salaried with commissions. I was harassed over years when asking to use vacation time, have used maybe 4 weeks in 11 years last month tried to talk to employer over need for raise. He was very upset. Wiped out all vacation time, and cut salary to about 1/5 the amount without notice. Can get nothing in writing in regards to policy, plans, nothing. He just randomly decides.

Asked on September 21, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an employment contract (or union agreement) that gives you protection under the circumstances? If not, then you are an "at will" worker. This means that your company can set the conditions of employment much at is sees fit (absent some form of actionable discrimination). This includes what to pay a worker and when to reduce their wages. Additionally, vacation is not legally required so to the extent that it is provided, an employer has a great deal of say over when it is offered or taken away from a worker. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption