Can daughter transfer home that was willed to her to her daughter?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can daughter transfer home that was willed to her to her daughter?

Daughter/son-in-law in nursing home (Medicaid). When her mother died, she willed her house to the daughter. The daughter never filed the Will (it’s been 7 years). Will not probated. Daughter wants to transfer title to her daughter. No house insurance. Back taxes owed. No mortgage.

Asked on August 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I believe what you are trying to do is to avoid Medicaid putting a lien on the house, correct?  Unfortunatley one can not advise you on how to do that at this stage of the game.  The house being uninsured is an issue here for loss purposes.  But the transfer would be set aside at this stage of the game if the deed in any way passes through the daughter in the nursing home.  Seek legal help here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption