Can convictions be reduced/changed retroactively?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can convictions be reduced/changed retroactively?

In 2007 I was charged with domestic violence. Being only 19 years old and having no experience in any such legal proceedings, and being unadvised, I made the mistake of pleading guilty at my arraignment and as such was convicted of Misdemeanor Domestic Violence.

Now that I am 31 years old, it is finally starting to hit me how severe the implications of such a conviction is, and how grave a mistake I had made in not denying guilt.

My question is whether or not anything can be done, or must I simply now live with this conviction?

Asked on January 20, 2019 under Criminal Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It may be possible to get the conviction expunged, which means having the record formally sealed. If this is done, the conviction officially "disappears" for almost all purposes: it will be as if you were never convicted. In your state (OH), many, but not all, misdeamors can be expunged--it would be well worth your time to consult with a criminal defense attorney about this, to see if your case can be expunged. If it can be, let the lawyer do this for you--you want to make sure it is done correctly and as expeditiously as possible. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption